Our December Athlete of the Month recently moved to Sonoma County and has settled in well with us at Arise. He's extremely friendly and outgoing but that shouldn't fool you about how tough he is in a WOD. Here's Jason!
1. When and where did you start Crossfitting? What made you want to start?
- I started a little over a year ago in Houston. I wanted more challenge and variability that what I was getting from working out in a “normal” gym.
2. Do you remember what you were thinking after your 1st WOD?
- Being tired, and thinking that the workout was a lot of fun.
3. What do you like most about Crossfit?
- I enjoy the way Crossfit makes me push myself during workouts. In a lot of ways, it’s like playing a competitive sport. I also being around a positive group of people who come to the gym to work hard every day.
4. What are some of your Crossfit accomplishments of which you're most proud?
- Improving my rope climbing ability. My first day at CFA involved some rope climbing, and it did not go well for me.
5. What is your favorite lift/movement? Least favorite?
- Favorites are power cleans and muscle ups. Least favorites are dead lifts and dubs.
6. Do you have a favorite WOD? Least Favorite?
- Favorites are Chelsea and Cindy. Least favorites are Karen and Fran.
7. Do you have any Crossfit goals for this year?
- I’d like to improve my lifting form and increase the weight on my power lifts.
8. Do you adhere to any form of daily/weekly diet regimen? If so what does your dream cheat meal/day look like?
- Nothing specific, but lots of chicken and sweet potatoes. My cheat meal involves steak and beer.
9. How do you spend your time when you're away from CFA?
- I’m fairly new to Sonoma County, so I am enjoying exploring all the fun stuff to do out here. I like hiking with my dog, visiting wineries/breweries, and snowboarding.
10. What is one fact that other CFA members may not know about you?
- Kaylin and I have a very spoiled Rottweiler. She has her own box of toys in the living room.
11. Who is your favorite musical artist/band?
- I like a little bit of everything. When I’m at the gym, I always enjoy the 90s hip hop station.
12. What impact has CFA and the CFA community had on your life, in and out of the gym?
- Joining CFA has made me a happier and healthier person. No matter what’s going on outside of the gym, I always feel better after a good workout. After a recent move, CFA has also provided a chance to get to know a lot of great people in my new home.
13. Do you have any motivational thoughts or suggestions for folks just getting started at CFA?
- Don’t believe Filipe when he tells you you’re halfway done!
In addition to the coaches, the people who have been at CFA for years know a lot about proper form/technique for all of the movements, and are always willing to give helpful pointers, so don’t be afraid to ask.