Friday class times: 530am, Noon, 430pm, 530pm
WOD: CrossFit OPEN 13.5
4 Min AMRAP
15 Thrusters @ 100/65
15 Chest to bar Pull-ups
If 90 reps (3 rounds) are completed in under 4 minutes, time extends to 8 minutes.
If 180 reps (6 rounds) are completed in under 8 minutes, time extends to 12 minutes.
If 270 reps (9 rounds) are completed in under 12 minutes, time extends to 16 minutes.
Alright guys, the culmination of 5 weeks of grueling, heart palpitating anticipation is here. The last OPEN WOD. For most of you, this is your first year and Will, Dana, and I have been blown away at the numbers you have thrown up on the leaderboard every week. Remember, this was about YOU. Every workout you did, every rep you completed made you a little faster, stronger, and fitter. I couldn't be more proud of you! GREAT JOB!
Here are a few tips for tomorrow. See you then!
Meanwhile, know that 99% of the world is awed by what you do in the gym every day, and the other 1% are lame-o's. You are pioneers of what every CrossFitter will eventually experience, and you should celebrate that. ~TJ Belger
The Physical Game
by TJ Belger
If you are a casual athlete like me, you may be wondering why you dodged the last three thruster/pullup workouts that were programmed at your gym. Well, the day of reckoning has arrived, and I reckon that if you don’t think about getting organized before 13.5, you’re in for a quick four minutes and possibly not even breaking a sweat. Even if you’re more of a competitor, this could come up and bite you, so you need to walk into it as prepared as possible.
Go balls out? Heck yes. You need to make this an eight-minute AMRAP if you have a shot at posting a competitive score, but if your thruster positioning sucks, you will be “leaking performance” (thanks, Carl Paoli) and will blow up faster than my old ’84 Honda Sabre with a rag for a gas cap. Having spent some serious up-close-and-personal time with both Masters athletes and 20-year-olds in the heat of battle, there is no doubt that the major distinguishing factor between the two groups is the quality of tissue younger folks have, which allows them to be in a better position in the thruster. The thruster is an unforgiving demon when performed poorly. It’s just dumb to risk having your depth and lockout questioned because your range of motion is hindered and you’re mechanically unprepared. Obviously it’s too late to fix any massive, long-term mobility issues, but you can do a lot to prep for this workout and optimize your resources.
For most of us, high-volume chest-to-bar pullups when under fatigue constitute nearly a max effort. If you have never experimented with a slightly wider grip, then this is probably a bad time…but then again, you might not have anything to lose. Shortening that lever system could make a big difference. Changing your grip and going to an alternating grip or supinated grip might really help you out, as well. Some athletes have success concentrating on the cue of pulling their scapulae together as they pull towards the bar. My partner, Marcus Filly, talks about trying to point your pinky knuckle straight up when gripping the pullup bar. It helps to engage the forearm and forces you to rotate with the wrist instead of re-gripping at the top of each rep, which can tax your mitts big-time.
Always quit two reps short of failure on this one. Forcing out those last two thrusters to then stand around under the pullup bar isn’t worth it. In my opinion, this workout probably has the least amount of strategy out of all of the Open workouts. Do me a favor, during this crushfest, try using some of my wife’s tips from psychologywod.com — a lot of this is mental.
Good luck, and keep it together.