Meet Jose Pozos, our July Athlete of the Month!
When and where did you start Crossfitting? What made you want to start?
I started crossfit about two years ago at Arise. I have a friend who is into crossfit and he always talked about it and how good and challenging the workouts were. Before joining crossfit I tried many things from zumba to boxing and it didn’t feel right- I wanted more. One day driving around Windsor one of the roads was closed and I saw the box, I googled it and sent an email and I joned.
2. Do you remember what you were thinking after your 1st WOD?
My first workout was Filthy 50 and of course I didn’t finish it, but that’s what I needed! That was my motivation to come back for more. "This is awesome!" -That’s what it was going through my head.
3. What do you like most about Crossfit?
It’s fun!! But what I like most about is how inspiring and humble it is. It challenges you mentally and physically.
4. What are some of your Crossfit accomplishments of which you're most proud?
Getting out of my comfort zone. Crossfit literally shoved me of; it has changed how far I can push myself. And of course doing things for the first time. I haven’t mastered all of the movements but everyday I’m attempting them , little by little adding more weight and more intensity.
5. What is your favorite lift/movement? Least favorite?
I don’t think I have a favorite movement or a least favorite. I enjoyed every movement but if I find myself trying to hate it, I scale it.
6. Do you have a favorite WOD? Least Favorite?
My favorite WOD is anything that involves cardio. If I had a least favorite it would be Karen.
7. Do you have any Crossfit goals for this year?
To actually workout more often and lose the fear of lifting a little more heavy. I also want to commit to a diet regimen soon.
8. Do you adhere to any form of daily/weekly diet regimen? If so what does your dream cheat meal/day look like?
Latino plus dieting doesn’t work out, I tried many times to stick to a diet regimen but it’s just way too hard for me. I have family who is always cooking the most amazing homemade food and it’s hard to resist. I have friends who are always inviting me to eat out and I always end up choosing the only thing on the menu that is not healthy.
9. How do you spend your time when you're away from CFA?
I like to be out in nature, spend time with friends and explore the towns around. I also have 4 nephews who are always asking me to take them places.
10. What is one fact that other CFA members may not know about you?
I’m actually not that shy- I’m just sleepy and tired from working night shift.
11. Who is your favorite musical artist/band?
My favorite artist is Zeds Dead, you might not know them but they’re two amazing EDM Dj’s. P.S our playlist should have more EDM.
12. What impact has CFA and the CFA community had on your life, in and out of the gym?
The greatest impact that crossfit brought to my life was getting out of my comfort zone; it has taught me a lot. It has taught me to get up because I can do it, to never give up and keep pushing myself.
13. Do you have any motivational thoughts or suggestions for folks just getting started at CFA?
I would encourage everyone to get out of the comfort zone, there’s no other feeling like when you set a goal and accomplish it. You will not only get stronger physically but mentally too. You know better that you can do it.