Our May Athlete of the Month is consistent and diligent, and we can all learn from his regular post workout stretching habit. "The turtle outlives the rabbit". Learn a little more about Greg Wachalter:
1. When and where did you start Crossfitting? What made you want to start?
I started Crossfit January of '16 in Napa at a place called Franco Fitness.
It was the start of the new year and you know how it goes, new year new me. So my girlfriend and I tried it out and we began to enjoy ourselves.
2. Do you remember what you were thinking after your 1st WOD?
No not really, but I couldn't imagine it being nice.
3. What do you like most about Crossfit?
I like that Crossfit gets you way out of your comfort zone. It pushes you to limits that you had no idea existed and gets you thinking; How far can I actually go? How weak is my mind? How strong is my body?
4. What are some of your Crossfit accomplishments of which you're most proud?
Getting 12 bar muscle-ups in my first Open, having just learned them 15 minutes beforehand
5. What is your favorite lift/movement? Least favorite?
I enjoy kettlebell work, not only swings but cleans, presses, high pulls etc..
Least favorite...anything with a dumbell.
6. Do you have a favorite WOD? Least Favorite?
I always love a good chipper. The ones where pace, fatigue and technique all come into play for a grueling half hour.
Least favorites...the monotonous quick workouts.
7. Do you have any Crossfit goals for this year?
Some mini goals, but overall just getting smarter and smoother with my movements and transitions.
8. Do you adhere to any form of daily/weekly diet regimen? If so what does your dream cheat meal/day look like?
Yea I try to eat the best I can. I believe balance is important though, it keeps things interesting.
My dream cheat meal would probalby be ice cream.. for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
9. How do you spend your time when you're away from CFA?
I work as a cellar hand for a winery in Dry Creek Valley, so during certain times of the year, my time is pretty much consumed by work. Other than that, my Fiance and I enjoy taking bike rides through our town of Calistoga, golfing, and most importantly, enjoying good food and wine.
10. What is one fact that other CFA members may not know about you?
I'm born and raised in New York. I moved out here 4 years ago to become immersed in the wine industry.
11. Who is your favorite musical artist/band?
Depends on the day, could be anyone from Snoop and Dre to The Black Keys to Otis Redding.
12. What impact has CFA and the CFA community had on your life, in and out of the gym?
Crossfit has improved my work life dramatically. My job is very labor intensive so having proper strength and technique throughout the day makes life much easier.
13. Do you have any motivational thoughts or suggestions for folks just getting started at CFA?
My first Crossfit coach Nacho Franco would always say "slow and strong...the turtle outlives the rabbit." That voice always sticks with me when things start to get out of hand.
And for people just getting started, in my case I believe the most important thing is technique tied with a proper warmup/cool down that gets your body where it needs to be to avoid any injury.