Here is our November Athlete of the Month! She's one of the OG's of the gym. She always has a smile on her face and can be seen hanging out a lot with coach Dana! She's been making gains in the gym and is living a healthy lifestyle. Meet Becky Remy!
1. When and where did you start Crossfitting? What made you want to start?
I made a major diet change in 2011 and was also looking for a way to get in better shape. I had been jogging, playing tennis, and going to a regular gym for exercise when an out-of-town acquaintance mentioned this awesome new thing called "Crossfit," I looked up the nearest one, found a Groupon for Crossfit Arise, and had my first class with Coach Dana on February 10, 2012. And I never left (and I eventually married Coach Dana)!
2. Do you remember what you were thinking after your 1st WOD?
It was heavily scaled, but I still thought it was tough, and just what I needed.
3. What do you like most about Crossfit?
I like the structure; I need it. There are class times to pick from, a plan for each class, and a coach to guide you during the class. You don't just wander around waiting for a machine and hope for the best.I also like the people. Being here for almost seven years, I've seen many people come and go. The good ones tend to stick around and become like family.
4. What are some of your Crossfit accomplishments of which you're most proud?
Figuring out kipping pullups and dubs made me pretty happy. I still need to work on them, but when my brain clicked and the movements made sense, it was a great feeling.
5. What is your favorite lift/movement? Least favorite?
Burpees and thrusters are my favorite. There aren't too many advantages for short people in Crossfit, but I feel burpees might be one of them. And thrusters are a full-body workout, so they can really kick your butt. Oh, and air squats. I can do those all day!Least favorite would be the snatch. I can't seem to figure that one out after all these years.
6. Do you have a favorite WOD? Least Favorite?
One of my favorite WODs is Filthy Fifty. Least favorite would probably be the Crossfit Open 15.5. I was pretty sure I was going to die after that one.
7. Do you have any Crossfit goals for this year?
Keep improving, stay healthy, and maintain my current schedule. I'd also really like to be able to do pistols.
8. Do you adhere to any form of daily/weekly diet regimen? If so what does your dream cheat meal/day look like?
I joined Coach Audrey's nutrition challenge this past July and started counting my macros and weighing my portions. The challenge was only for one month, but I've kept it up since then. I feel much better all around, and I think my workouts are improving.A cheat meal would involve ALL THE BREAD! And cheesecake, ice cream, and cookies. And since I'm dreaming, all of those things would be good for me.
9. How do you spend your time when you're away from CFA?
Monday through Fridays are spent at W Real Estate where I am one of the transaction coordinators. Our team keeps track of all the documents when you buy or sell your home. I spend time with my crazy family, and I like to vacation with my husband whenever possible. I enjoy reading, but I have a hard time holding still long enough to read lately.
10. What is one fact that other CFA members may not know about you?
I have a motorcycle license.
11. Who is your favorite musical artist/band?
I'd say all-time favorite is UB40 from back in the day, but I listen to anything - except Jazz. My SiruisXM station of choice is Alt Nation. I saw the Steep Canyon Rangers in concert - they are pretty talented.
12. What impact has CFA and the CFA community had on your life, in and out of the gym?
I feel healthier and stronger than I ever have, and proud of myself for sticking with it for so long. I have made quite a few great connections with people from CFA and hope we can keep growing our gym family.
13. Do you have any motivational thoughts or suggestions for folks just getting started at CFA?
Just keep showing up and putting in the work. You will feel better, and be impressed at what your body and mind can do. And don't be ashamed to scale the movements!