Say hi to our October Athlete of the Month! Kristy Buren. She's been a member of CFA for over 4 years, and it shows. She's strong, fierce (just look at that picture below), and loves to work out. She may not have convinced her husband to become a member, but she decided to stick with us, and we are glad she did. Keep up the good work Kristy!
1 When and where did you start Crossfitting? What made you want to start?
I started Crossfit at Arise in the early part of 2014, I had a friend who would talk about all the things she did in Crossfit and it intrigued me. I was burnt out on treadmills and stairmasters at the the gym and wanted to try something new. I liked the idea of a prescribed workout that changed everyday.
2. Do you remember what you were thinking after your 1st WOD?
I made Neal go with me. I was nervous to start. It didn’t help that thrusters were the first moved I ever tried, but I left wanting to come back for more.
3. What do you like most about Crossfit?
I love the camaraderie. I like the verity of the workout and the constant challenge and I like that I still get sore.
4. What are some of your Crossfit accomplishments of which you're most proud?
I remember the first time I made it up the rope and the day I got doubleunders and most recently kipping pull-ups, I’m pretty sure I let everyone know how excited I was. It funny how accomplishing a new movement can make your day.
5. What is your favorite lift/movement? Least favorite?
I like rowing, deadlifts & kettlebells. I am pretty sure everyone would tell you I hate thrusters.
6. Do you have a favorite WOD? Least Favorite?
I don’t have a favorite WOD but Fran is definitely my nemesis.
7. Do you have any Crossfit goals for this year?
I am in better shape at 50 than I have ever been. My goal is to keep it up. I want to continue to push myself to get stronger and stay in shape.
8. Do you adhere to any form of daily/weekly diet regimen? If so what does your dream cheat meal/day look like?
I wish. This is definitely something I need to work on. I haven’t found the right fit yet. Everything in moderation.
9. How do you spend your time when you're away from CFA?
I love to travel and spend time with my family. I enjoy top down days and wine tasting.
10. What is one fact that other CFA members may not know about you?
I have gone skydiving twice. The first time I was 17 and I jumped by myself from 3000’. The second time we took my mom for her 50th birthday, it was a tandem jump from 10,000. I would definite like to do it again.
11. Who is your favorite musical artist/band?
Pink is definitely my favorite artist. I recently saw her in concert and I love her even more now. Her strength and tenacity inspire me.
12. What impact has CFA and the CFA community had on your life, in and out of the gym?
CFA is a family not just a gym. We support, encourage and push each other to be the best we can be. We support each other in and out of the gym.
13. Do you have any motivational thoughts or suggestions for folks just getting started at CFA?
Just do it! Oh wait that's already been taken. I go back to the fact that at 50 I am stronger and in better shape than was in my 20’s. If I can do it so can you.