Say hi to Jonathan Bomberg, Our September 2017 Athlete of the Month!
2. Do you remember what you were thinking after your 1st WOD?
That it was exactly what I was looking for in a work out, that combination of strength training and general calorie burning that fulfilled my goals.
3. What do you like most about Crossfit?
I am the type of person that has to do something 100% or not at all. When I was seriously looking into gyms I knew that to keep me working 100% I would need group classes and not the "24-hour" model where a treadmill is always waiting for me. Also that the level of intensity WODs provide allows me to always keep pushing myself to do better.
4. What are some of your Crossfit accomplishments of which you're most proud?
At the beginning there were many movements that I couldn't perform like toes-to-bar and even jump rope. But after trying for a few months, and before each class trying one T2B, I was eventually able to make one, then two etc.
5. What is your favorite lift/movement? Least favorite?
Even though I am naturally good at box jumps relative to everything else, I would have to say my favorite is the T2B because I have to earn them and that every time I do one I think back to when I could not. My least favorite movement is definitely the wall balls because even though they are not the most difficult movement, I just always feel incredibly sore and tired after doing 30 or more.
6. Do you have a favorite WOD? Least Favorite?
7. Do you have any Crossfit goals for this year?
My main goal is still weight loss, since I started I have lost 15 pounds and I am looking to lose 10 more.
8. Do you adhere to any form of daily/weekly diet regimen? If so what does your dream cheat meal/day look like?
My first health change was working out and unfortunately I have yet to change my "taco bell" diet. I am aware of my over consumption of sugars (especially in the form of soda) and I am aware that I need to change this habit.
9. How do you spend your time when you're away from CFA?
Being a winemaker and right now with harvest in full swing all of my time is work related. But beyond that I enjoy reading (philosophy and science primarily) and on average read 5 books a month. I am also a patron of the arts, everything from music to film to visual arts.
10. What is one fact that other CFA members may not know about you?
On top of being a winemaker at Merriam Vineyards, I also own two wine brands that allow me to experiment with out-of-the-box wine styles. Also one of my life goals is to formulate a complete theory of aesthetics and to better understand the arts I am making amateur attempts at each art form from literature to film
11. Who is your favorite musical artist/band?
I enjoy primarily the late romantic composers and especially their attempts at large scale works, think Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto, Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto, and Saint-Saens' Symphony No. 3 "Organ Symphony"
12. What impact has CFA and the CFA community had on your life, in and out of the gym?
Working out in general has given me the energy to work harder in the winery and the motivation to keep pursuing my goals in every aspect of my life.
13. Do you have any motivational thoughts or suggestions for folks just getting started at CFA?
You have to be motivated and really want to achieve. If you are committed to your goals then Crossfit is perfect for you, but if you want to coast along then try the "25-hour" method.