Our September Athlete of the Month gets to the gym whenever she can (usually with kids in tow), likes to lift heavy, and is not necessarily a fan of her namesake WOD. We love her dedication to the sport and to the gym. Meet Karin Pruitt, our September Athlete of the Month.
1. When and where did you start Crossfitting? What made you want to start?
After having Paige, I had pregnancy weight to lose and wanted something different than the Airport Club. I purchased a Groupon for Crossfit Arise and procrastinated until it nearly expired - I eventually started in September of 2012.
2. Do you remember what you were thinking after your 1st WOD?
After having been in sports my entire life, I realized how out of shape I had gotten. Along with my inability to breathe though, I was super excited. Crossfit was the best of everything in exercise that I liked - Lifting heavy weights, different programing everyday, and cardio thrown into the mix.
3. What do you like most about Crossfit?
Lifting Heavy Stuff, of course!
4. What are some of your Crossfit accomplishments of which you're most proud?
I’m always proud when I can do a WOD without scaling….Though it doesn’t happen as often as I would like. I also am really happy when I’m injury-free enough to compete in the Crossfit Open. It’s motivating and exciting to see how you stack up against everyone else.
5. What is your favorite lift/movement? Least favorite?
My favorite movement is definitely Dead Lifts. Simple and heavy. Least favorite are ….. Burpees.
6. Do you have a favorite WOD? Least Favorite?
My two favorite WOD’s are Cindy and Murph. Cindy is a mini Murph and even though I’m always working when Murph rolls around (I’ve only been able to do it once), I love the challenge. Least favorite WOD is probably my namesake…. I don’t like Karen. Not one bit!
7. Do you have any Crossfit goals for this year?
My goals for the year are to hopefully get on a new work schedule so I can get to the box more often. With that said, the one Crossfit goal I’ve had since starting in 2012 is to be able to do muscle-ups. I would love to be able to get just one.
8. Do you adhere to any form of daily/weekly diet regimen? If so what does your dream cheat meal/day look like?
My work-week meals almost always include some smoked salmon, with avocado, from Santa Rosa Seafood Company (A must try!!) or a Poke bowl. Dream cheat meal would include beer, loaded carbs (like pizza), and a chocolatey dessert.
9. How do you spend your time when you're away from CFA?
Unfortunately, work demands a lot of it. When not working, I love watching and supporting my kick-butt ninja stars in their Taekwondo endeavors.
10. What is one fact that other CFA members may not know about you?
Prior to my Law Enforcement career, I worked as a Certified Massage Therapist. I am also a Third Level Reiki Practitioner.
11. Who is your favorite musical artist/band?
Hmmmm… Beastie Boys? Alice in Chains? Metallica? No way I could pick just one.
12. What impact has CFA and the CFA community had on your life, in and out of the gym?
From Day 1, the coaches and community at CFA have always been amazing! From the welcoming you get each and every day to the support during workouts (no matter your experience or proficiency level), CFA is a great place to workout.
13. Do you have any motivational thoughts or suggestions for folks just getting started at CFA?
Stick with it! Crossfit is designed to work for every person at any fitness level. And, the support you get from the community is like no other sport you know.