Meet Laura Geisthardt, our September Athlete of the Month. In the short year she has been a member of our gym, she has been working incredibly hard at the gym and in life, and it certainly shows! She's on her way to mastering the push up, so when you see her do one, cheer her on!
I started in August 2018 at CFA. I decided to start Crossfit to get healthier, relieve stress and feel more in control of my body.
2. Do you remember what you were thinking after your 1st WOD?
I remember feeling overwhelmed by all the new movements while also feeling a huge sense of accomplishment at finishing the WOD. Plus, pain!! So much pain that night and the next day that I almost couldn’t walk!
3. What do you like most about Crossfit?
I love the way it challenges me physically, emotionally and mentally and shows me strength I didn’t know I had. I also love how encouraging all the athletes are. I have felt mutual respect that comes from pushing yourself to the max during a workout regardless of how it is scaled or RX’d.
4. What are some of your Crossfit accomplishments of which you're most proud?
Running my fastest mile time ever and doing multiple modified push-ups (I couldn’t even do one when I started!).
5. What is your favorite lift/movement? Least favorite?
I love all things bike, rowing, squats, kettle bell swings, thrusters and am even starting to love running. I loathe burpees, and lunges.
6. Do you have a favorite WOD? Least Favorite?
I love the WODs that have many different movements and include cardio. I dislike WODs that have a lot of work on the pull-up bar.
7. Do you have any Crossfit goals for this year?
My goals for this year are to increase my core strength, continue to lose weight and increase my upper body strength (I would love to be able to do a regular push up one day!).
8. Do you adhere to any form of daily/weekly diet regimen? If so what does your dream cheat meal/day look like?
I try to avoid all sugar, and I limit my carbs to fruits, vegetables, legumes and sporadic whole grains. I LOVE ice cream and chocolate and would cheat with those.
9. How do you spend your time when you're away from CFA?
I am usually chasing my 3 year old twins but also enjoy playing the flute and am in a choir.
10. What is one fact that other CFA members may not know about you?
I lived in Chile for a semester in college and speak Spanish.
11. Who is your favorite musical artist/band?
I really like the Dixie Chicks.
12. What impact has CFA and the CFA community had on your life, in and out of the gym?
CFA has changed my relationship with fitness. I went from being intimidated by exercise and doubtful of what my body could do to craving exercise and amazed at what is possible physically when I show up and work hard. Because of the support of the CFA community I am now a stronger, lighter and more active mom. My new lifestyle is one that I want my kids to emulate.
13. Do you have any motivational thoughts or suggestions for folks just getting started at CFA?
Show up and work hard. The amazing coaches and supportive athletes will help you make huge strides towards your goals.